DIY Sparkle-Toe Pumps

This DIY has been on my list for over a year and a half, and I was re-inspired to finally tackle it when I saw this post on sparkly canvas shoes by the ladies at Honestly…WTF.

I wanted blue shoes for my wedding. So I bought a pair of ivory fabric pumps and handed them to my trusty cobbler, who dyed them a light shade of my favorite color.

Alas, on our wedding day, it rained and rained, and then rained some more. It was great for the wedding – it created a cozy and romantic atmosphere. But it was bad news for my shoes, which apparently hadn’t been rain-proofed.

So they’ve been sitting in a box since March 2010. Until this week, that is, when I grabbed some blue fabric paint, fabric glue, and assorted crystal stick-ons from the local Michael’s store.

I put some painters’ tape around the bottom of my shoes to protect the wooden soles from getting splattered, and then applied two coats of the fabric paint with a makeup sponge. You can see the before and after above.

I let them dry overnight, away from the cats – to avoid waking up to blue-tongued smurf cats.

The next night I penciled in the line where I wanted the sparkles to start on the toe, and began gluing them on.

I started with two rows of the largest size crystal.

Then three rows of the medium sized crystal.

And I filled in the rest with the smallest crystals. I ended up having to use tweezers to pick them up and glue them on towards the end, because the glue had dried on my fingers and was creating a sticky mess.

Over the course of one episode of Mad Men and one True Blood season finale rerun (I like to watch tv or have music on when I craft), I was done!

Tada! They came out looking so professional — to my delighted surprise. And it was super easy to do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in DIY, Shoes and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to DIY Sparkle-Toe Pumps

1. Liv says:

This is so awesome! I would have been totally sad that my wedding shoes were ruined, but you revived them and they look dope.
    This DIY seems doable for someone who is lazy and not-so-crafty…basically me.

• Ava says:

It’s totally doable, Liv! Whether the color will hold up in the rain, or whether the crystals will stay on after a late night, though, are completely different questions. ;) Thanks for your comment!
      - Ava

2. noelani says:

They looks very professional, I am really amazed at the outcome from the fabric paint, gave those shoes a new lease on life. As does the cap toe bling. Maybe I’ll attempt a rehab on a pair before giving them the heave-ho.

• Ava says:

Hi Noelani,

It’s tempting, isn’t it? I am now on a re-painting, bedazzling frenzy. I kind of want to do a similar thing with red fabric paint.

I totally encourage you to try it – you’ll have nothing to lose if it’s a pair of shoes you’re about to give up on anyways :)

- Ava

3. Safira says:

I am really impressed by these! I have always wanted to do them, but never had the chance. They look just as good as any shoes you would buy, if not better.

Good work!
    Safira

4. Stacie says:

Hey Ava! I absolutely love your shoes and your blog!!! These are amazing. I have had some little rhinestones sitting around for a while and I think this is the PERFECT project to use them. :) I also included your shoes in a roundup post on my DIY craft blog . :) I thought you would like to know!

5. Jeanee says:

WOW! You did an amazing job on that blue!

I featured your DIY on my blog today:

ENJOY!!!

6. Pingback: 15 Fabulous DIY Shoe Makeovers | You Put It On

7. Tishsa says:

How did the shoes hold up!?!

• Ava says:

Hi Tishsa! Not too bad, I must say. They cracked a bit on the sides near the toes – the fabric paint goes on thick so it affects the way the cloth moves. But all the rhinestones stayed on!